Friday, February 5, 2010

The Source of Happiness

I must immediately begin by making it clear that I don't have the answers to the secret of happiness. It is an interesting topic of conversation. When I have posed this question to friends and strangers I receive a spectrum of reactions ranging from surprise, shock ,discomfort and I my particular favorite, the deer in the headlights glare. I am currently reading Eric Weiner's book "The Geography of Bliss." In my opinion bliss is very different than happiness, but I'll reserve that debate for a tête à tête with friends, good food and plenty of time to banter that subject about.
There are people that actually devote their lives to studying and documenting our source of happiness. I love the idea of studying data about what makes us happy as opposed to what makes us miserable or suicidal. Both disciplines are equally important, but at this moment in history it is in my best interest(and those who must spend time with me!) to focus on what makes me be happy.
Ruut Veenhoven is a Professor of Happiness Studies. His interest is healthy minds and happy people. Happiness study is interesting in the fact that there are subtle nuances in each culture that define happiness. It really boils down to: " in winter, spring summer or fall all you've got to do is call, you've got a friend" (thank you James Taylor). Ruut and his peers estimate that about 70% of our happiness stems from our relationships (both quantity and quality) with friends, family, co-workers and neighbors.
I know it makes me happy to leisurely spend (of which I have very little) time with my husband, friends and family. I don't need to be entertained, I just want to talk about things that matter. Each time I conclude a few hours of my day in this manner I leave craving more. This is a sign to me that I need to make more time in my life for those nourishing chats.
It also makes me happy to have a restaurant full of people enjoying good food, wine and interesting conversation. I love the sound of laughter and I derive a large amount of fulfillment being the voyeur of people connecting with real intention.
Jean-Paul Sartre declared "hell is other people!" Ruut Veenhoven's data discredits that statement. If I were to guess, Jean-Paul didn't choose his company carefully! With so little free time on our hands it is important to surround ourselves with people who reflect our ideals and principles.
What defines your personal happiness?

Amy

No comments: