Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another Man's Bounty

We received approximately 24" of snow in Easton, Maryland in less than 24 hours. The adjectives meteorologists used to describe this storm were "paralyzing", "record-breaking", "historical!" Those all sounded to me like nails on a chalkboard! A small business owner, particularly in the service industry, cannot afford to be closed on the weekends, it is "paralyzing" to cash flow. We can't make that up. People aren't going to come in and consume twice as much!
I did realize the selfishness of my bitter musings. Particularly when those who are benefiting from this bounty of snow are those that have been really suffering for two years. Those individuals who work in construction, landscaping, home improvement. These individuals are thrilled to be out there removing that snow so we can navigate around safely. I must say they are doing a stellar job.
My return to compassion came to me when I let myself enjoy the calm after the storm. Breathtaking, clear, pristine blue skies followed. A perfect day to ski (unfortunately the Eastern Shore of Maryland is flat.) So, instead of skiing I trekked out to our pool, cleared two feet of snow from a pool-side chair and sat out in the sun like a lizard for 45 minutes. This, I thought to myself, is a little slice of bliss and an adjunct to my sublingual vitamin D. I was also entertained by my mothers tri-colored Welsh Corgi trying to navigate her way to me in two feet of snow donning her black fleece-lined jacket that could only be perfected by two Batman symbols embroidered on each flank.
I was welling with self-pride when I realized the adage "one man's misery is another man's
bounty" was completely altered by how I chose to perceive my situation. Another man's bounty was also mine. I was able to slow down. My entertainment was simplicity.

Amy

No comments: