Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rise Up!


Almost every morning I make a pilgrimage to Rise Up Coffee kiosk in St. Michaels. I hand them my mondo cup and homemade almond milk ( I have a dairy allergy) which they beautifully froth, add to their perfectly pulled organic espresso and finish with cinnamon. A great start to the day. Everyone ( Matt, Rich, CeCe, Katie, Laura, forgive me if I have omitted anyone) is always cheerful and gracious. The other ritual I have added to my pilgrimage is purchasing a drink for the person that pulls up behind me. I care not whether it is presented anonymously or my identity revealed. What I do care about is how important it is for me to commence my day with an action that gets me out of myself. I am in dire need of this extraction since, as a species, we all seem to be embroiled with fear, insecurity and immense polarity.
I am intrigued by the psychosocial aspect of this small act. The reactions range from complete refusal to a drink bought for the next person in line. The refusal to accept the kind gesture carries with it an innuendo of, perhaps, unrealized selfishness. What they don't grasp is the beauty of accepting this small act of kindness is also a gift.
So, let's all Rise Up and do something nice for someone!

No comments: